The Good: Proper health insurance coverage is necessary for visitors to the U.S. where medical care costs are some of the highest in the world. Available to non U.S. citizens who come to the U.S. for business, school, or leisure, this plan provides financial protection for medical emergencies, accidents, and illnesses when you are away from your home country.
The Drawbacks: The program must be in effect within the first 24 months of your arrival in the U.S. No coverage for pre-existing medical conditions. Limited to non U.S. citizens.
The Bottom Line: An affordable yet comprehensive short-term medical insurance program for foreign nationals on temporary visits to the U.S. Trip length between five days and up to six months can be accommodated.
|Medical expenses||$45,000 – $120,000 * ($50 – $200 deductible)|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
* $40,000 or $60,000 for those age 70 and over ($200 deductible)
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Offered at four plan levels and two over-70 plans, you choose the plan limits and deductibles that work for you.
- Provides for hospital expenses, surgical expenses, ambulance services, prescription drugs and more.
- No coinsurance applies.
- Evacuations are to the nearest hospital or medical facility (not to the insured’s home country); repatriations are to the insured’s home country.
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- Limited coverage for those age 70 and older.
- Individual benefits such as surgical treatment, prescription drugs, etc. covered at specified plan limits.
- No coverage for pre-existing conditions (six month look-back period).
- Hospital stays and intensive care stays are limited to a certain number of days.