The Good: Great plan for families because children under 17 are covered at no additional cost (conditions apply). Covered reasons for cancellation include job loss, required to work, terrorism, and hurricanes.
The Drawbacks: While coverage can be purchased up to 24 hours prior to departure, financial default, ‘cancel for any reason’, and other coverages require an earlier purchase. The coverage for pre-existing conditions stops at $30,000.
The Bottom Line: This plan is solid travel insurance protection from a reliable company. It includes adequate coverage for all the primary travel risks and includes a few options to fill in any gaps.
|Trip cancellation||100% (maximum trip cost $100,000)|
|Trip interruption||150% or $750 return air *|
|Missed connections (3 hours or more)||$250|
|Travel delays (5 hours or more)||$150 per day/$750 maximum|
|Baggage delay (12 hours or more)||$300|
|‘Cancel for any reason’ (up to 50%)||Optional (purchase within 15 days of initial deposit)|
|24/7 assistance services **||Yes|
* Coverage for trip interruption and return air cannot be combined.
** Non insurance assistance services provided by Travel Guard.
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Children under 17 covered at no additional cost when related to and traveling with the primary insured (conditions apply).
- 24/7 Assistance Services includes Identity Theft Restoration services, Concierge services, Travel Medical services, and Business Assistant services – an array of assistance to help you with business obligations – along with pre-trip safety and health travel advisories provided by Travel Guard.
- Financial default for cruise line, airline, or tour operators is covered if you purchase the plan within 15 days of initial trip payment.
- Pre-existing medical condition waiver provides medical coverage (up to $30,000) and reimbursement if you have to cancel or interrupt your trip (purchase within 15 days, conditions apply).
- Increased missed connection benefits (up to $500 per person), Flight Guard coverage ($50,000), and primary medical coverage with early purchase (within 15 days of initial trip deposit).
The following optional coverage is available when you purchase this plan:
- Optional medical evacuations to the hospital of your choice is included (conditions apply) with the purchase of the emergency evacuation upgrade.
- Optional flight guard coverage for up to $500,000 AD&D (cannot be combined with standard plan AD&D).
- Optional car rental coverage ($250 deductible) for up to $35,000 (not available to residents of Texas or Kansas).
- Optional ‘cancel for any reason’ for cancellations up to 48 hours prior to departure (you must cover the full cost of pre-paid non refundable trip costs). Purchase at the time of the base plan – within 15 days of initial trip deposit.
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- Pre-existing conditions coverage is limited to $30,000.
This is only a brief description of the coverage(s) available. The Policy will contain reductions, limitations, exclusions, and termination provisions. Insurance is underwritten by National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, Pa., a Pennsylvania insurance company, with its principal place of business at 175 Water Street, New York, NY 10038. It is currently authorized to transact business in all states and the District of Columbia. NAIC No. 19445. Coverage may not be available in all states.