The Good: Offered in four levels and multiple deductible options, this travel medical plan provides illness and accident medical coverage, accidental death, and travel assistance to foreign nationals visiting the U.S. The coverage period can be from 15 days to 12 months, and it can cover families while traveling to the United States
The Drawbacks: Deductibles and coinsurance apply with this plan. No coverage for pre-existing conditions is available. Dental coverage is not high, nor is the AD&D limit. No optional add-ons to enhance the coverage.
The Bottom Line: This plan provides healthy non U.S. citizens with good basic medical coverage when visiting or working in the U.S. It does not include a lot of extras, like coverage for pre-existing conditions, but the evacuation is comfortably high and the medical coverage limit can be as high as the insured needs.
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Includes $25,000 AD&D (24-hour) in the base plan.
- Includes personal security evacuation up to $10,000.
- Includes emergency reunion up to $10,000.
- Choose your deductible from $50, $100, $250, $500, $1,000, $2,500, or $5,000.
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- Waiting period of 30 days. The maximum payout for an illness during that time frame is $1,000.
- Coinsurance applies for treatment inside the U.S. and Canada (80% to the first $5,000, then 100% after deductible).
- No coverage for pre-existing conditions.
- AD&D benefit for accidents that occur while modifying a home or vehicle is limited to $2,500.