The Good: The medical coverage is high, and evacuation coverage is comfortably adequate for long distance trips. The baggage loss coverage amount is high, as is the AD&D. The refund period doesn’t end until the day before the departure date, so travelers have a long period where trip cancellations are covered.
The Drawbacks: There are no optional coverages to round out the plan if you’re a business or adventure traveler. No coverage for rental cars, ‘cancel for any reason’, or ‘cancel for work reasons’ is available.
The Bottom Line: This is a good plan with high medical coverage for travelers who won’t be participating in risky adventures or traveling to remote regions.
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Covered reasons for trip cancellation include terrorist incidents, financial default, adverse weather, assault, and more.
- Purchase the plan (and cover the entire cost of your trip) within 14 days of your initial trip deposit and Amex waives the pre-existing conditions exclusion (insured must be medically able to travel at the time of purchase).
- No medical deductibles are required.
- If a covered trip is extended due to a situation beyond the control of the insured, the coverage is automatically extended for a period of 72 hours without additional premium.
- Accommodations and transportation (up to $150 per day) if a covered person or their traveling companion or family member must remain hospitalized or is medically unable to travel for up to five days..
- Flight change costs due to an injury or illness that leaves the insured in a hospital are covered up to $100 for domestic flights and $200 for international flights (payable only for tickets with a scheduled return date).
- Trip cancellations for financial default requires a short 7-day waiting period.
- Money back guarantee applies up to the day before departure.
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- Medical coverage is secondary and applies only if the trip is farther than a 150-mile radius of the insured’s permanent residence.
- Trips are limited to 31 consecutive days in length.
- No missed connection coverage.
- No ‘cancel for any reason’ or ‘cancel for work reason’ coverage is available.
- No coverage for adventurous sports or hazardous activities.